Friday, May 11, 2012

After four fun-filled, grueling, challenging, exciting, demanding, costly, necessary, cinematic, entertaining, awesome, (and many more descriptive words) years at Ringling College of Art and Design, I have finally graduated. I would not trade my education at Ringling for the world, and I want to thank anyone and everyone who made that experience as amazing as it was. Here is a picture of some of us right after graduation last week.


Now that I am back in Massachusetts for the next month and a half or so, I plan on sleeping extensively. I will probably lay around on the couch and do absolutely nothing for a while. It will probably look like this....


Except, that probably will not happen, since after about a week of sleeping, I will just feel like a lazy bum. This weekend, I will be going to Brimfield, MA for a giant antique flea market. I really love going to Brimfield, because usually if you search hard enough, you can find some pretty cool, old animation memorabilia. Here is a picture of an old 8mm Mickey Mouse film reel that I found there last year. This was a really interesting find because of the story behind it. I unraveled the reel a bit after I bought it, just enough to see the teeny tiny letters of the title frames. I had to use a magnifying glass to read the words. "Donald Duck in: Getting the Hook". So I searched the internet for any type of information on that film, but it was really hard to find anything about it. Eventually I resorted to unraveling the reel a tiny bit more to see the first few frames of animation. I started searching all of the short films that Disney made in the 30's and I would go and watch them on youtube to see if they were the same film. After quite a while, I found a film called "The Orphan's Benefit", which was the exact same film, but interestingly enough, had a completely different title. It turns out that the name of the film had changed, and I had come across one of the original film test reels from when the film was still going by a different name. I researched The Orphan's Benefit and discovered a lot of cool things about it. Disney legend, Ward Kimball was an inbetweener on this short, and it was the first film that ever featured Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse together in the same scene. It is also the first film that ever featured Goofy as Goofy, and not "Dippy Dawg". The Orphan's Benefit was remade in technicolor in 1941.


Here You can see the original version. I thought this was a really interesting story, so I thought I would share it. I hope you will find the same interest in it as I did.



As some of you already know, my short film, Reviving Redwood, has been nominated for A Student Academy Award by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. I am really excited to be a finalist in this year's voting, and I am hoping that my film gets chosen to go all the way to Hollywood for the awards ceremony. My film is 1 of 9 that are still remaining in the competition. 3 of these 9 films will be awarded with student oscars at the beginning of next month. Here is a link to my film's facebook page. Please help me out by liking the page! https://www.facebook.com/RevivingRedwood



Hopefully this was not too boring of a post to read. Let me know what you think. More to come soon!

3 comments:

  1. So many congratulations. Best of luck in the "real world"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on graduation and the academy nomination! Good luck

    ReplyDelete